Wednesday, December 4, 2013

No Time Like The Present

To blog!  It has been another busy busy year. 
As I have settled into being a ranch manager, I have transitioned from a sit in front of a computer person to a being outside person.  Both certainly have pros & cons.  I do miss my office friends & being around people in the hustle & bustle of the big city, but then I go outside & sigh in relief of the quiet beauty of my ranch life.  I no longer hear the sounds of sirens, honking horns, garbage trucks banging dumpsters at 3am or the constant buzz of traffic.  I now hear the bawl of a calf, the howl of a coyote, the hum of a train that's 3 miles from my house, the bray of my silly donkeys & the bellow of a bull trying to attract the attention of a lovely lady.  It hasn't been easy and just when I feel confident in my knowledge, I learn something that lets me know that what I do know is a drop in the bucket of what I need to learn.  Good thing I am thristy for knowledge!!



It was an unfortunate year for the Chevy, the utility trailer & the Mule.  A scary wreck that left all those vehicles totalled.  WB & I were ok - I had minor scratches & a bruise & WB walked away clean.  He did get a new truck.  His first Ford ever & is loving it.  We had a few things done to the house this year.  Installed new windows in the dining room & repainted.  The biggest improvement was getting the fireplace operational again.  Before our central heat was installed, that fireplace heated the front half of the house.  Most of my childhood winter memories include sitting in front of that fireplace.  It's like having a beloved old friend come home again.  Just lovely.
 

We are not National Lampoon's, but we certainly are an Animal House!  Lots of outdoor & inside animals to take care of every day.  Counter clockwise on the photos.  Miss Ruby & her new buddy, Cash, are grazing in Bandera after a rigorous ride in the hill country.  Below the steeds is one of the not so unusual whatever I thought I was going to do today just changed days.  How this momma found a t-post clip & stuck it in her hoof, I will never know.  Off to the vet she went.  Of course that involves getting all cows in the pens, sorting her off, letting all cows out, loading her in trailer & the list goes on.  It's not like I can pull up to her with the trailer & tell her to kennel up!  She is perfectly fine now & certainly enjoyed the extra food rations she received while in recovery.  She said she could do without the 3 giant antibiotic shots, but I told her it was for her own good & to deal with it.  The middle, top & bottom right are of my sweet Annie & her gang.  My little bottle baby has gotten so big.  She has also changed color.  I'm not sure what color she is going to be & right now, she is red, white & black.  Who knows, maybe she'll be tri-colored her whole life.  She is with all the calves now & is my ring leader as I can call her name & she comes to me bringing the rest of the gang with her.  It's funny to watch.  I was walking across the pasture to open a gate yesterday, purposefully not calling the calves to me, when I hear this quiet thunder of hooves getting closer & louder.  Those rascals saw me & just came running over to see what I had to eat.  I confess that I did have some cow cookies for them because I'm a sucker & just can't help it.  Feeding them those range cubes makes me giggle because they are just too funny - all noses & tongues when the cubes come out.
 

I mentioned that we have inside animals & here are two of them.  Dog is too well mannered to get on the bed, but Flopsy (in the back) & Mopsy (in front) aren't as well behaved.  The do so love to get in their dad's bed & lounge the day away.  He usually blocks them from jumping up there by opening the lid to the chest at the foot of his bed.  I think he forgets on purpose because they are very good snugglers.  Below Flop & Mop is a picture we took at Murphy's in Winchester.  I made some new & wonderful friends this summer when I was a counselor for a girls horse back riding camp in the hill country.  We had a fun night & gave two Irish folks some great memories to take back to the Emerald Isle.  The middle picture is pretty obvious - RAIN!!  We needed it so badly & went it came it did so as if to make up for lost time.  Everything turned green again & all the outside animals were super happy to be eating grass. 
Since I am in the Queen of Non Sequiturs, the last two pictures make perfect sense to me.  Top right is the birthday cake my awesome boyfriend made for me.  Very yummy.  He even decorated his house with birthday banners & streamers for me.  Very fun.  He is pretty wonderful, but I am totally biased on that subject.  The bottom picture is of the land clearing that has been going on out here.  They are finally done & we are seeing pasture open up that hasn't been seen in about 40 years.  Since the rains & rye grass planting, all of that dirt is now green with native grasses & that sweet winter rye.  My cows are in heaven.  I burned about 23 huge brush piles & still have more to go.  The last ones are going to be difficult as they are close to trees we saved.  It will take just the right weather conditions to burn them - I need a day with no wind & possibly a heavy fog or light drizzle.  I'm not always the most patient person, but the perfect day will present itself & we will burn, burn, burn those last piles.

I am off & running again.  Maybe I can sit & blog again before the end of the year, but it is doubtful.  My feet itch to get outside & enjoy this beautiful weather we have right now.  It is winter in Texas though & the weather will most certainly change & change quickly.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all if I don't blog again before 2014 comes rolling in.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment