Friday, July 22, 2011

Time Flies When you are Having Fun & Working Your Tail Off!!

As the saying goes, all work & no play makes you axe murder your family in a snowed in deserted hotel in the mountains. Oh wait!! It doesn't go that way!! Besides, too long & clumsy to coin that phrase. No worries about that anyway. Too busy with ranch duties & visiting friends to even bother to think about where the axe is located.
Let's see - just another busy week after the tequila tasting. Run the usual errands in town to the usual stores which usually are: grocery store, feed store, lumber yard & maybe Wal-Mart or Tractor Supply. Oh! And don't forget the Vet Clinic. Got the house & my room all ready to receive friends for the weekend last weekend. Pictured here is Dawn who has, obviously, made fast friends with Little Red. If she were small enough, I think Red would have crawled in Dawn's lap to take a little nap. So sweet!
Earlier that same morning, I killed this copper head. I was just walking through the yard & saw movement in my peripheral vision & there this guy was. No bueno since they are very poisonous & we've carried a vendetta against them ever since my sister got bit on her big toe when she was 5 - she still has the fang mark scars to prove it! So, I got the trusty snake killer which is an old putter. I managed to hold his head down & started to cut its head off, but my knife was a little dull & he managed to slip from the putter grip. Needless to say, he was a little mad that I tried to chop his head off. Instead, I had to putt him in the head then hold him down & then cut his head off. I also changed the blade on my knife! Those plastic hay strings dull the blades so fast!!

Brenda the Brindle had a cute little brindle baby. Brenda looks quite menacing with that set of horns she has, but she is one of our "eat from your hand" cows. I mean, I'm not going to try to pet her when we are in the pens together & she'd probably try to eat my lunch now that she has a calf, but she is a sweet girl as long as you have a range cube or two to share with her.

Another busy weekend & week ahead...Get ready for more company, go to cousin's for a birthday, take my CHL renewal class, pick up kids in Houston & get them back to the ranch. Going to be a fun week with those two boys here. On tap is to build a chicken coop, set a flag pole, horseback riding, a cowboy action shoot & lord only knows what else we'll find to do next week!! Those boys are going to be worn out by the time they head home. Can't wait!!! :-)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment