Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Gobble Gobble Y'all

Since I refuse to believe that I am aging daily, I must be having fun as time just flies by. My days on the ranch are fairly similar - feed horses, feed calves, feed cows, feed bulls, feed WB, feed dogs, feed calves again, feed WB again, feed dogs again & feed, the yard calves anyway, a few more times before calling it a day. Mixed in there is fixing broken pipes to water troughs, repairing squished hay rings, airing up the never ending flat tires on the tractor & doing my best not to track recycled grass into the house. And, I do love it all!!
Here is a picture of the handsome WB in front of one of the many helicopters he flew in the Army. I sent this picture to my sister for Veterans Day. She printed pictures of kids family members in the service & hung them on the wall in her library on Veterans Day. I thought that was a great idea & it is always nice to get a visual reminder of those who protect our freedoms with their lives & that we can take so easily for granted.
Here we have the Boys Breakfast Club. My sweet man Val is up front & Coalie is in the back. The little guy in the middle has no name yet as he may get to live elsewhere one day & be the proud father of cute little humpie babies. I currently have about 15 adult & adolescent bulls in that pasture. Although I can pet & scratch every one of them, the breakfast room is closed while plates are being served. Once that is done & Pepe out of the way, I open the gates & they clamour for position around the feed troughs. They could care less about me & getting scratches when food is on the table. Can't say as I blame them as their feed is rather tasty to them. At least we now have some grass on the ground since we have had almost 3 inches of rain since last month. Fingers crossed, all the rye grass we planted will sprout nicely & they will have some good grazing.

Here we have the Junior version of the breakfast club. Just a few of the little heifers we have this year. All the steer calves have been sold. WB informs me that after Thanksgiving we will be sorting off a few more of the smaller heifers & some of the little Brahman boys who aren't very friendly to sell. Fine with me - fewer mouths to feed over the winter. Some of these little ones are getting used to me & discovering that I don't just bring them feed but that scratches behind their ears, on their itchy horn buds & under their chins is very nice! Sometimes, I feel like the Pied Piper with the way they follow me around. Kinda fun & kinda creepy!!






















This little girl just cracked me up. I guess the hay is tastier up there & she is staking her claim on all of it!












Here Mr. Junior is eating his late night snack.  Such a sweet little guy.  He was hungry but very tired & didn't want to get up.  Yes, every one gets spoiled out here.  We just can't help ourselves!

Must get moving to get all animals fed, pack up the truck & head to my sister's house for Thanksgiving.  Very excited to see her & to spend some time just relaxing with my family.  I have so many things to be thankful for &, as always, my family is my most precious gift for which I am thankful to be included as a member.  I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment