Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rual Does Not Equal Sedentary

Well hello hello. Every time I sit to blog, something keeps me from sitting long enough to upload pictures & typing! Things have been super busy at the ranch lately. Not sure what changed from the normal super busy, but I guess when you think your schedule is already full there is always a little room to squeak more in there. The last 2 weeks of September we spent inventorying all the cows & weaning calves. Not to worry, my BB calf is still hooked on me & can usually be found loitering in the carport. It's always the same, she wants to get in the yard to eat grass & get her rations of calf feed & milk. She actually noses the gate latch & tries to let herself in - it's too funny.
With the cattle work came flies, flies & more flies. In this picture, WB is spraying the commercial lot for flies. Not only does it make them more comfortable to not have those pests buzzing about them, but the flies bring worms with them & worms degrade the health of the animal. So spray away please!! They were even bothering me & I'm not sure if that was because I smelled like a cow or what, but I was ready to stand there & get sprayed too! Freaking little nasty pests!! Buzz off!!


This storm front looked promising for rain, but alas, it did not bring any. It did make for a nice picture, but that was it. We did get some rain the first part of October & those 2.5 inches really made a difference. The ground is green now instead of brown. The cows, horses & donkeys are loving it. We still feed them all every day & about once a week I put out hay for them.

This is such a sweet picture of mother & baby. I guess baby was feeling a little insecure & wanted a little lap time.












Here we have our newest family members. Two Basset hounds showed up at the back door one morning. A boy, Flopsy, & a girl, Mopsy. They are super sweet & I can't imagine that someone just threw them out on the road for dead. They are definitely in good hands now & are getting quite accustomed to lounging in our laps, in their fluffy beds or snuggled up on the furniture. Dog & Sugar don't mind one bit as they too know that life can be hard living on the streets & welcomed the new family members with open paws.






Yes. That is me getting a facial by #57. She does love to lick on me whether it is my legs, arms or face. She has no preference. She'll even eat on my hair if given the chance. Pretty soon, she & the rest of her herd will go out in the pasture with all the big girls as they will be old enough to breed this coming spring. I'll miss having this lot around to love on, but we have a whole new crop of calves just waiting for the same attention these girls have gotten.


Well, I'm off & running again. I'm going to try to work with the new pups on leashes. We'll see how that goes. I might end up tangled in a mess of rope getting licked to death!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment