Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year


It's calving season y'all & I love this time of year.  All those cute little babies are hitting the ground.  Here are Belle, Jingle & Chiquita & they are very busy helping me count calves.  We have a lot of them to count so it is a must to have a list of their tag numbers.  If not, it's sort of like trying to count a swarm of hummingbirds.  Just when you think you have them all, you have to start over & it gets confusing!

Here is one of the little precious babies.  She had just been born only hours before this picture.  Momma was standing close by but didn't seem to mind that I gave her a little pet & checked her plumbing to make sure she was a she & not a he.  She is also one of the ones that I still have yet to get to come to the pens so mommy & baby can go to the nursery pasture instead of the labor & deliver pasture.  I'll get them next round up as we are only 1/4 of the way through our calving.

I'm not very happy with mother, Freckles, here. She is already teaching her silly little girl how to cross the cattle guard.  Two years ago Daddy & I had to twist, pry, strain & pull Miss Freckles out of a cattle guard.  It was the first time I'd every heard him say the B-word!  We were both afraid she'd have a broken leg & we'd have to shoot her.  Thankfully, it didn't turn out that way.  I fussed at Baby Freckles & she ran off.  I guess the grass under the cattle guard is much sweeter than the grass in the pasture. 

Meet Mr. Peepers.  His mommy ended up going to market because she had no milk to feed this little guy.  He's my first, & hopefully only, yard calf.  One might think he is doing a great Gene Simmons impersonation but actually he is just hungry & ready for his bottle.  He has a good appetite & always lets me know if I'm a little late with his meals.  He hasn't figured out the dog door yet like BB did, but at least I don't have to wrestle him to the ground to get him to eat like I did that ratty little Rusty!
We are busy building fence, counting calves, praying for rain & watching the grass grow.  I'm off to get calf, horses & cows fed before heading to work on taking down an old fence.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment