Wednesday, August 31, 2011

May I Have More Please??

BB Calf is growing like a weed & wishes she had figured out this dog door thing before she got too big to fit through it! After morning & evening feedings, she pokes her head through the door to see if there is more to eat. Mind you know that she has had 1 1/2 gallons of milk & 4 cups of calf feed. She is a mess! I'm going to have to block the dog door after she eats because she's going to get her fool head stuck in the door & rip the dog door or the door itself cattywampus.
Still just dry as a bone in the desert out here. We, like most ranchers, are constantly looking for hay & trying to figure out how to feed the livestock in a cost effective manner without having to sell a majority of them. WB & I have a new strategy that we are going to try out after I do a bit of groundwork research tomorrow. If it works, it will get us through working the cattle within the next few weeks when we will likely sell a lot of calves & maybe some of our older mommas. It will be interesting for sure to see how it all pans out! I am one commercial cow down today anyway. Poor old momma just laid down & died. The vet says it was a combination of age, heat & lack of moisture content in her diet that got her. Got to have some moisture in the diet even though all the cattle have an ample supply of water from water troughs. I'd rather sell off than have any more die on me.
I wish it were cooler, but getting the bulls out of the pastures as well as the calves off these mommas can't wait any longer. At least I have until after Labor Day before I have to get working on it. Fortunately, I already have both herds in position to get them in the pens fairly easily. We'll see how that goes. Best laid plans of mice, men & ranchers!!
I am beat after an 18 hour day that included a 5 hour round trip drive into the big bad city. At least WB & I had a delicious late lunch which meant I didn't have to cook supper tonight! YAY for me!! Gotta get back in the game on that though as I will have company this weekend & need to have more than PB&Js to eat.
Time for this cowgirl to hit the hay as I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open & am hoping that my blog even makes a teensy bit of coherent sense. Better quit while I'm ahead or at least not aware of anything to the contrary!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment