Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Today was Tuesday, Right??

What a crazy day!!!!
It started off with Steel breaking free from banishment.  At least he came thundering up to the horse barn.  He got out of the east pasture by pushing against the chain that latches the gate until he pulled the staple out of the post.  New gate, new chain, new staple & new post - that horse pulled a 2 inch steel staple out of a hardwood post.  Amazing!  I noticed that he has a few little wounds on his neck from his efforts & I'll have to doctor on those tomorrow.
Horses fed, gate fixed, Jack working on the new fence project so I thought I'd put the grapple rake on the tractor & clean up the trees felled for the other fence project.  That was a lot of fun & I got 8 trees stacked up before lunch.
Lunch made & cleaned up, I decided to make my meat sauce for the baked zitti dinner I had planned.  All that done & WB was going to take me to pick up the Kubota so I'd have wheels to get home after stacking more trees.  OH NO!!!  We just thought that was the plan for the afternoon.
Instead, we spent the next hour or so getting Freckles (she's a cow) unstuck from the cattle guard.  She decided the grass really was greener, ate her fill & then got stuck on the way back.  We were both afraid that her leg(s) were broken or that we wouldn't be able to get her out & we'd have to shoot her.  Not a pleasant thought by any means.  We worked & worked & pried & pushed & finally, popped both her hooves out.  In order to keep her from getting stuck again, I wrapped a chain around her front legs & drug her off the cattle guard.  It took her a minute to realize that she was freed from her bonds & OK before she got on her feet & limped off.  That done, it was change out attachments on the tractor & get more hay out. 
My day wasn't done at that point, but it was 5:30 by the time I was home, kicking my boots off & getting started on dinner.  Whew!!  What a day.  I sure hope tomorrow will be easier.
Seems odd that I go from cows & horses to getting a membership at the Country Club!  Ahhh, but that is my life & I do love it!!  After a day of cow & horse wrangling, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a fine cocktail & tasty dinner!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment