Friday, June 17, 2011

Cow Days of Summer

I know the saying is supposed to be dog days of summer, but we have way more cows than dogs!
It has been a usual busy week of keeping up after all the livestock & making sure everyone has feed, hay, mineral, water, etcetera, etcetera as the King of Siam would say. I should have put out hay yesterday, but I am rationing it out since we are getting low & I'm not sure when we'll get more. My hay guy is irrigating, but it could be a few more weeks before I get any new hay.
As you can see here, some of the girls have been reduced to eating the hay that hits the ground as there is little to no grass. Don't feel too sorry for these girls as they are the only ones who get fed real feed every day. Not a one of them is underweight, by any means!
Yesterday was busy getting the roof of the camper trailer scrubbed & sealed. We really need to get a cover over that thing. It has been hard to get any of those carport people to either come out here or really tell me exactly what I need to order & since those things aren't cheap, we haven't moved forward with the project. I guess eventually I will find the right vendor to assist me with spending a few thousand dollars since we need two carports/covers now! We also had a mouse move in to the camper so I put out a bunch of sticky traps & will have to bleach the place since my brother is staying out there this weekend. More cleaning than I had anticipated, but needs to be done & maybe the bleach smell will run off the rodent!
Miss BB is getting bigger & bigger. She was licking my leg in this picture. Feels so funny & makes me giggle. I am sneaking some feed into her milk hoping that helps fill her up a little more. She still hasn't quite figured out the whole grazing & chewing thing. Not really sure how you teach a cow how to do that! It would seem she would pick it up from other cows. Good thing she is cute because the girl ain't so smart!
Another busy day - feed animals, wash the outside of the camper, wrap Father's Day gifts, make a pie crust & start on dinner preparations since my Uncle is coming over for dinner. In fact, I better get it in gear & get going with the feeding of the animals so that it isn't crazy hot!
I hope all the fathers out there have a wonderful weekend & same for all the mothers who do double duty as fathers too.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment