Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cows & Bruises

Since I've been home, it has been non-stop. The 3 day weekend was just another 3 days for me. I did enjoy visiting with my cousin's co-workers from Boston on Saturday & went to a backyard rodeo that benefited the Ronald McDonald House on Sunday, but it was work, work, work other than that. For most people, that would be a complaint. For me, it isn't because I'm doing something that I love.
In this picture, I'm sitting on Miss Ruby & looking at a pen full of cows. Jack & I were glad that I had Ruby in there as it made sorting off the commercial cows from the Brahmans much easier. Our commercial cows are fairly docile, but the Brahmans tend to get a bit snorty in those pens. They'll eat range cubes from your hands & ask for ear, horn & neck scratches out in the pasture, but that whole attitude changes once they are corralled.

We got all our little calves sorted off as well & gave them their shots & either ear marks or ear tags. Those little ones are so cute, but they don't like being in the pens either! In fact, one little guy kicked me not once, but TWICE!! I have an almost perfect imprint of a cloven hoof above my left knee & the beauty here is on the inside of my left thigh. Those two kicks reminded me that I want to learn to throw a rope & I have a friend coming out to teach me the basics this weekend. I guess I'll practice in my nonexistent spare time, but I'll have to squeeze some out somewhere as I really don't want any more of these kinds of bruises! Either that or I'm going to start wearing some catchers leg pads in the pens when sorting calves so those little buggers can kick all they want as they'll be making contact with a pad instead of my legs!
BB is doing well & I turned her out with my big little girl group yesterday. She was funny to watch & still comes running when she sees that bottle. Fingers crossed though, she'll learn how to eat hay & feed from her cow friends. There are also two other little calves in that group so she has a couple of playmates.
The vet comes today to pregnancy test all of my commercial cows that don't have babies yet. There are a few that will get pardons if they aren't pregnant, but the rest will go to auction on Monday. Between feed & hay costs, if you aren't providing me with replacement stock then it's time for you to move on to greener pastures or to my plate. Either way, you are off my feed payroll.
As soon as it is light, it is off to feed horses, the big little girl group, BB & get the commercial bunch back into the pens for their 10:30 OB/GYN appt. I should be able to get all that done by then. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring, but it usually presents something else that needs attention. It's going to be a hot one this afternoon so I do believe I will stay inside & get started chopping veggies & prepping for supper tonight. Maybe I'll finally clean my room too!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment