Friday, April 8, 2011

Yesterday...

It has been another crazy busy week filled with livestock, running errands, taking WB to check-up appointments, etc.  Nothing too unusual or out of the regular routines.  Yesterday was one of the crazy busiest days yet though.  Do you agree?
7:15ish - out the door & call up horses for their breakfast
8:00 - hop on Pepe (the 4-wheeler) to go find #230 to see if she has finished expelling her afterbirth from calving Wednesday morning.  Found her & no she hasn't.
Time gets blurry here, but...
set gates to trap 230 along with the other cows so we can drive them to the alley & then the cow pens.
get my group of young boys & girls out of the way as I don't need them in the mix of things.
by now, WB has moved the camper onto the slab (which really looks great!) & I help him get everything leveled, plugged in & turned on.
back on Pepe & to the horse barn to saddle Ruby
off to the east pasture on Ruby
Jack & I call the cows in - most of them follow him in the Kubota down to the pens.  Of course 230 thinks, well I don't think she really thinks, but she ain't going anywhere right now.  Ruby & I had to go get her & get her a moving.
11:00 - 230 & calf are in the trailer, cows & donkeys out of pens & headed back to their pasture & Ruby has gotten lots of praise, grooming, extra feed & treats before being turned out for the day.  Call the vet clinic but they won't be ready for us until after 1.  Perfect since I am starving having had no breakfast!
11:45 - back on Pepe & down to the pole barn.  Got 2 round bales of hay out for the Brahman group that got to practice going in & out of the pens
12:45 - WB & I are off to town with the patient
1:15 - at clinic.  Doc took care of h230.  WB took Dog in for some something in the office & I stayed with Doc & 230.  Really gross to watch what he did to get the afterbirth disconnected, but it had to be done.  It was funny though because 230 would go nuts when Doc would walk by but paid me no attention when I would!  Had to give him a hard time about stressing out my cow!
2:30 - back at the ranch with a belly full of chocolate shake & now 230 & calf are back in the pasture with their friends.  I send WB & Dog off in the Kubota to the house & I'm off to the pole barn to park the trailer.  Once back at the house, I space out the planter pots in the flower beds that are being filled with rock.  Soon soon we will have a yard with grass & flowers in the flower bed!!  Yippee!!
3:00 - back on Pepe.  Off to front pasture to check on 29 who is licking her brand new baby & then out to the east pasture to check on Jack & the fence building.  All going well just wish the fence building would go faster as that is a whole bunch of acreage with fresh green grass on it that the cows can't eat because we have no fence!!  ARGH!!!
3:30 to 5ish - restack the round bales of hay in the pole barn. 
5:30 - trade Pepe for the Kubota, get horses out of cow pasture, feed the calves & go let the horses back out
6:00 - BEER!!!  OH MY it was delicious after such a hot dusty day.  Helped WB put the new license plate on the camper trailer
7:00 - dinner on the table.  Salad & homemade pizza was delish.  WB & I fed, dogs fed, dinner dishes cleaned up & my day is almost done
7:30 - I finally get to take my boots off & go take a shower. 
Somewhere after all that, I got showered, talked to Charlie, got Sugar all her night time meds, set my coffee pot alarm clock & made it to bed.
Long day - yes  Busy day - yes  Tiring day - yes
Did I love every minute of it??  YES!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Tara What a Day!! I'm so glad that you are blogging so that we can keep up with your daily escapades! As you know, much more interesting than this city life!! Love you and keep good care of yourself and WB and all of your four legged friends as well!!

    ReplyDelete