Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gobble, Gobble

Yesterday was turkey day. They were freaking every where I looked. Hard to see them in these photos. They tend to run away being prey animals & all, but I did the best I could with my cell phone camera. This picture has 3 toms & a few hens. The picture below has a tom in full plumage. I couldn't remember if a group of turkey is considered to be just a flock & it is. It should be something more interesting though. I mean, you can have a murder of crows, a gaggle of geese, a skull of politicians so you should be able to have a torrent of turkey or something of the like. It just sounds more interesting than generic flock...b-o-r-i-n-g!
You'll be glad to know that momma 37 & baby are now home & doing well. 37 did have mastitis in one of her quarters which, of course, was the quarter that baby liked best. Poor little guy was starving to death. So glad that I'm here to keep an eye on everyone & make sure they all get the care they need. Considering our dry conditions this year, we have been lucky to only have 2 calf emergencies so far. I still have a bunch of ladies that need to have their babies. With the commercial herd especially because if they aren't pregnant, they are going to market. It's too dry & there is not enough grazing to keep a bunch of nonproductive cows on the free meal plan around here.
I'm off to Houston tomorrow to get my car in to the shop to get its new top & then back to the ranch on Friday. It's going to be a fun weekend of trail riding & I'm really looking forward to some good saddle time on Miss Ruby.
OK - time to go in the house & eat pie! YUM!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment