Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good Morning

As far as first days go, yesterday was tops.  We got almost all the cows worked in this first batch until one of the little bull calves decided he was stronger than the steel chute.  Turns out he was because he bent the 1/2" rod that holds the gate latch together.  Only 4 calves didn't get their ear tags, black leg shot & fly spray.  Since we still need to pair up mommies & babies & then wean the older babies, we'll get them on the second go around. 
Thursday we are working the other batch of Brahmans.  Not sure when we work on the commercial cattle out back.  Will have to ask the boss man about that.
Took a nice ride on Ms. Clovis in the evening.  She wasn't too happy about it at first but behaved herself quite nicely.  She's a mostly red paint pony & has a sweet disposition.  She was a little skitish about the saddle & saddle blankets until she got to see & smell them.  Daddy even let me use his dad's saddle.  Kinda cool to be using my grandfather's saddle.  I remember sitting in front of my dad on that saddle as a little bitty kiddo. 

Today is a "go to town" day for horse feed & to get a replacement rod for the squeeze chute.  I think some horseback riding friends are also coming out & I'll be taking a ride with them.  Will have to check with the boss on that one though.  He may have other plans for me.

Time to go make some coffee & get this day going.

3 comments:

  1. 4 am wow!!!!!!!!! so happy for you and your daddy and am loving your blog- you are awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, time for my lesson of the day (even tho I never got yesterday's answered) I get "ear tags" & "fly spray", but WHAT is "black leg shot"? Is there a "black leg" disease for which the little guys need a shot? Or do only the critters with black legs get shot? Curious minds want to know!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Black Leg Shot" - I think had one of those in a bar in Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete