Thursday, November 4, 2010

Circle of Life is a Big Meanie

Too tired & full to blog last night after a fairly busy day & a wonderful dinner with friends & family.

It is cold & windy so none of us are too anxious about running around outside.  The gray water pipe still needs to be attached, but is not a huge emergency.  I guess we'll get that done when it gets done.  We need to work the commercial cattle again on Friday.  I'm hoping we can entice them up as they are way out back.  With this weather, they are probably holed up in the trees & won't be easy to find nor coax out into the wind.  Will have to get them set up with troughs full of range cubes & maybe some good Kansas alfalfa hay.  Wish us luck!!

My title today brings about another topic.  Mr & Mrs Black Buck are no longer.  Not sure if a predator predated upon them, but Mr Buck is definitely dead as buzzards were circling his carcass yesterday & we have yet to see Mrs Buck.  She is either dead somewhere in the pasture or was carried away.  Those were the last two we had of the small herd we received a few years ago.  Very sad as I did love watching them roam around - they are beautiful animals.  The only positive from it is that we can open that pasture up to the cattle now & we can shoot at the backstop close to the house instead of 2 miles away in the back back back pasture.  Still, I'm sorry that they are gone.

That also brings about today's chore.  Daddy wants to have Mr. Buck's horns mounted.  I called a friend who has a taxidermy business &, I guess I knew this was coming but kind of creeped me out anyway, when he said to bring in the head.  How else are we going to get the mount done?  BUT...that means we have to go chop Mr B's head off & run it in to town.  I guess I'll know how strong my stomach is today.  I'll either be able to help or I'll be behind a tree puking my guts up!  He died Tuesday night, we think, so he ain't smelling too fresh plus the gore of it all.  Uck Uck Uck!!!  Not looking forward to this task today at all!!!  Will soldier up & get it done though.  Not sure if I'll take pictures or not.  Seems a little gore gratuitous.  I'll probably wait until we have the mount.  That will be nice & neat & not ucky in any way!!  If we can handle it, maybe we get his hide too as he sure was handsome.  We'll see how it goes & what I'd have to do to get the hide.  May not be worth my nausea!

Stand by & I'll tell you all about it tonight.  Hope all have a great day.

1 comment: