Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Home again to my other home

It's always sad & a bit of a relief when the holidays are over.  Gone are the family & friends back to their homes.  Time to get the decorations put away.  Some things are hard to put away because I enjoy seeing them so much & they bring back great memories of Christmases past.  I'm never ready for it to be over because it flies by too fast!  But.....chin up, shoulders back & march on forward into 2011.
It was great to be in Houston for a few days, but I really miss being at my home away from home.  To see cows walking by my window or hear one of the donkeys braying or giving lots of good face & nubby horn scratches to the calves.  If that happens in Houston, I have passed out in the middle of the livestock barn during the rodeo!!
Looking forward to my cousin visiting this week as I will have someone to ride horses with.  I might even have to invite those boys up to the house for dinner!  I guess that means I'll have to get to the grocery store since we are down to zero leftovers & not much else except for Spam!
It's going to be a "get it in gear" week.  I think both WB & I have gotten used to the slower pace of the holidays & now it is time to get back to work!  We really need to get the Brahman herd worked - wean calves, tag ears, freeze brand & get the inventory straightened out.  I'm sure we'll do it in more than one day as this kind of work takes more time with each cow.  We are both waiting on a little warmer weather though.  Even the cows are extra testy in the cold weather.
We have a new baby that hit the ground late Saturday or early Sunday morning.  Cut little fuzzy black calf - will post a picture later today.  Momma & baby are doing well.  Was extra worried about momma since she prolapsed, but all has worked out well & both seem quite healthy - a little sore, but healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment