Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Terrific Tuesday

Did y'all know it is cold outside??
I was in full gear this morning - warmest socks on feet, microfiber long handle underwear on legs, 4 layers under my barn coat, glove liners & gloves on hands, balaklava on head, face & neck plus a hat.  You'd think I wouldn't have still been cold!!
We got momma 198 up & treated her mastitis.  3 more days of treatment & all 4 quarters of her bag should be nursable for her baby.  266 & 207 both needed assistance removing the afterbirth from their calves.  I'm sure they feel much better now!  I found out though that keeping them well supplied with mineral assists with that naturally so I will make sure those feeders are never empty from now on.  I would have taken pictures but it was really gross & y'all would not have wanted to see that nasty nastyness.
Mucked all the stalls in the horse barn & leveled the dirt a bit.  Miss Estee was right on time for getting in the stall tonight.  She was peeking over the railing at me at 5pm on the dot.  Looked like she was asking me when dinner would be ready.  I did have time to work with Ruby on the lunge line a little bit & then just brushed her out & cleaned her hooves.  I need the practice doing all that & I don't want her forgetting that she has to stand there nicely to have those things done.
Another busy day on the range & another one ahead tomorrow.  I'll take my camera along to get some pictures of these cute calves (198's baby looks like a fuzzy brown bear!) & of the lovely Miss Ruby.

No comments:

Post a Comment