Friday, January 21, 2011

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

So is Christmas, but that is the time of year I'm talking about. It's calving season! That is the most wonderful time of the year. Such cuties hitting the ground. The top picture is 242's baby. She is learning the flavor of stick. The bottom picture is 198's baby. She was nuzzling the weeds, but hasn't decided to taste them yet.
I got a great surprise when I went to feed last night. 184 had a baby yesterday. It seems to be doing well since it was not happy when momma left its side to go eat. No problems with the birth or after birth or her udder so we are shooting 1000 on this one!
I have worked & worked down in the horse barn the past few days. It was so crazy windy yesterday that that horses & I were happy to be spending it in the barn. They saw me pull up down there & came charging over in a stampede. While they munched their new food, I cleaned the tack room. It probably won't stay that way for long, but at least the mouse houses are gone. There are some great old saddles that need some TLC & I'll tackle that next week.
Today is a short day as I'm off to Houston for the weekend. It's going to be a more relaxed weekend this time since we don't have a million & 1 things to do. I'm just going to wrap things up so that I can start fresh on Monday.
I need to go do a calf count with the commercial herd. This cold weather surely brought on other births. Will have to bundle up because it is freezing cold out there. Doubtful that I'll take Pepe. He's been shivering under his cover for days now.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. How many babies are expected?!?!? I'm afraid they will all hit the ground before Cindy and I do!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete